Original Source - STC Management Sig Directives; Volume 9, Issue 3: http://www.stcsig.org/mgt/news/July2005Directives.pdf
By Mark Attew, Technical Documentation Manager, XDimensional Technologies, Inc.
When I was promoted from lone writer to Manager of the Technical Documentation team at my small start-up software company, I was faced with many challenges. Aside from the fact that this was my first position leading a team (albeit small) of technical communicators, there were other issues I had to face:
- Building a team from the ground up
- Creating a department name
- Devising mission and vision statements
- Deciding where and how to manage content
- Creating procedures for managing work requests
- What materials I needed to purchase to support my team.
While tackling the major issues of building the department, our CEO (an alumnus of other successful start-up companies) decided the company needed a “resource center” where employees could get books and information ...read more